Durham Monthly Meeting Minutes, July 21, 2019

Durham Monthly Meeting of Friends convened for the conduct of business on Sunday, July 21, 2019 with 10 people present.  Clerk Susan Rice read a quote by Parker Palmer from the New England Yearly Meeting Faith and Practice pp. 123-124.

1. The June minutes were approved.

2. Christian Education Committee:  Katherine (Qat) Langelier brought the following report submitted by Wendy Schlotterbeck: The committee met on July 7.  They reminded us that personal hygiene stations are now available in each of the adult bathrooms for anyone needing them.

    They discussed more ways to make our meetinghouse and grounds a welcoming place for newcomers, especially families with young children. They plan to contact Trustees about putting up fencing that has been donated to keep the play area safe for active children.

    The plant and yard sale netted $549.11. Special thanks to everyone who donated plants, clothes, and items, and a big shout-out to those who helped take all the extras away!! The youth will use $500 to support Cornelius, our Kakamega sponsee. The Durham Young Friends Account at Central Maine Credit Union has a balance of $1,000.31.

    The committee is planning Sunday School for the next school year, and is reaching out to invite more Durham Friends to become trained in Godly Play. They ask, “Are you being led to participate in the lives of our children in this way, occasionally if not regularly?”  If there is enough interest, the committee hopes to host a training workshop.  They are also looking for more Doorkeepers, a special role that involves meeting each child before they enter the Godly Play space and helping them to be ready for the story. The Doorkeeper also “holds” the children and story time in a similar way to those who have Care of Meeting for Worship.

    With the change in the flow of Meeting for Worship, they discussed moving the start of Sunday School to 10:30 and having the children rejoin Meeting for Worship just before Joys and Concerns around 11:20.

    The committee discussed the value of gardening for children, and the ways they might include this activity in our Sunday School/youth programming.  Qat Langelier is planning to attend the Permaculture Design Certification Course at the Pendle Hill retreat and conference center in Wallingford, PA, Sept. 15-27, 2019. This course will enable Qat to learn valuable gardening skills and be certified to teach and share those skills with Durham Friends of all ages. She has been given a scholarship of $700 from Pendle Hill, which reduces her cost to $1,450.  The Christian Education Committee is requesting that an amount of $500 be given to her from Durham Meeting to help with the cost.  Qat will also need help with childcare for some of the days while she is away. Please contact Wendy Schlotterbeck if you are willing to help with childcare.

     Wendy will be a Resource Person for the Young Friends program at NEYM Sessions August 2-8 in Castleton, Vermont.

    Sunday School for children and youth will resume on Sunday, September 15.

    World Quaker Day will be celebrated on Sunday, October 6 as Homecoming for former and current Durham Friends; it will be the official opening of Sunday School and youth programming for the 2019-2020 school year.

    Qat Langelier reported that 15 people attended the weekend on the beach at the Georgetown home of Betsy Muench.  Much appreciation was expressed for Betsy’s hospitality.

3. We approved the donation of $500 from the Charity Account as requested by the Christian Education Committee to help support Qat Langelier’s attendance at the Pendle Hill Permaculture Design Certification Course.

4. Finance Committee: Sarah Sprogell gave the six-month financial statement (attached) and reported that we are on target for income and expenses to date. We thanked Katharine Hildebrandt and Donna Hutchins for securing insurance coverage for parsonage damage.

5.  Margaret Wentworth reported that the Nominating Committee recommends that Katharine Hildebrandt become a Trustee, and the meeting heartily approved.

6. Peace and Social Concerns Committee: Brown Lethem reported for the committee. They have three young women who will participate in the conversation about the climate crisis on September 29 at 12:30 at the meetinghouse. They hope everyone can come.

    The documentary film Paris to Pittsburgh, mentioned in last month’s minutes, was donated to the committee by Interfaith Power and Light. The film is about the climate crisis and what some local activists are doing. They will show this film in house parties during October and November. Let Ingrid Chalufour know if you would like to host a party.

    The committee requests that Durham Meeting be a sponsor of the annual Peace Fair on the Brunswick Mall on August 3.  Our meeting name would be on the Peace Fair materials, and they plan to have a handout on the fair table from 10:00 to 2:30. A thank-you letter was received for our participation in last year’s fair.

7. We approved the suggestion that we be a sponsor of the Peace Fair and that our meeting name be on the Peace Fair materials, as well as providing handouts regarding Durham Friends Meeting.

8. Craig Freshley sent a thank-you letter for our contribution and support of the Make Shift Coffee House program.  The spiritual oversight committee for Craig’s ministry includes Katharine Hildebrandt, Tess Hartford, Kristna Evans, and Wendy Schlotterbeck. 

9. Trustees: Donna Hutchins sent the report.  Trustees met on July 7. They report that the meetinghouse heat pump is not working, and Kim Bolshaw met with the installer to resolve the problem.  Daniel Henton has replaced the children’s toilet that was malfunctioning.

10.  We decided that we will not hold a monthly meeting in August and there will not be an August newsletter. 

11.  A discussion ensued regarding contributions to Quaker organizations and we were reminded that we are meeting on October 27 to discuss priorities and the use of our funds.  A follow-up discussion is suggested for the fourth Sunday in November to continue our consideration of how we use our assets to contribute and support various Quaker organizations. 

12.  Sarah Sprogell, Auditor, reported that she has completed the audit for 2013, which was a very challenging year financially.  Steps were taken to remedy the situation and a successful campaign at the end of the year helped us break even. Her report is attached.

Susan Rice, Clerk, thanked us for our presence as the meeting ended in handshakes all round.

                                                                                    Dorothy Hinshaw, Recording Clerk

Leave a Reply