Durham Monthly Meeting of Friends convened for the conduct of business on Sunday, December 15, 2019 with 13 people present. In the absence of Clerk Susan Rice, we approved the appointment of Sarah Sprogell to serve as clerk. Sarah opened the meeting by reading a quote from Caroline Stephen from Light Arising, published in 1908.
1. The November minutes were approved.
2. Ministry and Counsel: it was sadly reported that, after a brief illness, Clarabel Marstaller died peacefully on December 2nd, 2019. Dorothy and Edwin Hinshaw who had served with the Marstallers in New England Yearly Meeting many years were approved to work with Ministry and Counsel regarding a memorial minute for Clarabel Marstaller.
Martha Hinshaw Sheldon shared a list of speakers in meeting for worship for the next few weeks.
An updated proposal for a Meeting Care Coordinator was presented. It was suggested that a search committee be made up of representatives from four committees: Peace and Social Concerns, Christian Education, Ministry and Counsel, and Communications, plus the Clerk, Susan Rice. Ministry and Counsel will ensure the formation of the committee.
3. The meeting approved hiring a Meeting Care Coordinator as well as the formation of the search committee, which will limit its search to the New England area.
4. Finance committee: Sarah Sprogell presented the budget for 2020 and it is attached to these minutes.
5. Peace and Social Concerns Committee: Ingrid Chalufour reported that a new temporary group (Footprint Subcommittee) has formed to propose ways the carbon footprint of the meetinghouse can be lowered. The group is made up of representatives from three committees: Sarah Sprogell (Finance), Robert Eaton (Trustees), Ingrid Chalufour (Peace and Social Concerns), and Kim Bolshaw, custodian. They are researching a variety of ideas and proposals.
6. Christian Education and Youth Minister: Wendy Schlotterbeck reported that about 7 people from Durham and Portland meetings are interested in Godly Play training, tentatively planned for the weekend of April 3-5 at Durham Meeting. Others from New England Yearly Meeting are invited at the cost of $150 per person. Melinda Wenner Bradley, Director of Communications and Training (Faith and Play Stories, Inc., Godly Play Trainer) can offer the training. The Quaker version of Godly Play is Faith and Play.
Wendy Schlotterbeck staffed the Junior High retreat at Woolman Hill the weekend of December 6-8. A Young Friends retreat was also held the same weekend in Providence, RI. Three young friends from Durham meeting attended retreats that weekend.
The Christmas event on December 20th will include a labyrinth in the parking lot, soup, cider, cookies, carols and campfire, 4:30-7pm. Parking will be across the street.
7. Betsy Munch announced that Brunswick Friends Meeting is losing their meeting place, and wonders if we might share our space with them.
8. We approved the suggestion that Brunswick Friends Meeting consider using our facility for their meeting for worship on Sunday morning, suggesting a time of 9:00 to 10:15, specifics and shared financial arrangement to be further explored.
We closed in quiet reflection.
Dorothy Hinshaw, Recording Clerk